Automation Testing is a Software testing technique where the tester writes the test cases with help of automation tool and executes the test cases to check the flow of an application with it actual and expected result. Automated test execution reduces the manual effort for execution of repetitive test case.
Test Automation is one of the most cost-effective and time-saving methods to test software products with long maintenance cycles.
Whats the difference in manual and automation approach?
|Parameter||Manual Testing||Automated Testing|
|Accuracy||Less accurate and cannot perform repeated tasks||Highly reliable for repeated tasks as it uses tools and scripts|
|Testing||Highly effective as it involve human intervention||Not so effective since there is no human intervention|
|Cost||Require human effort||Require software tool|
|Requirement||Execution is performed once or twice||Execution is performed repeatedly|
|Initial cost||Very less||It is high|
|Technical Skills||Need functional resource||Required skilled resource|
Whats is the life cycle of Automation Process:
- Test Tool Selection-> Selection of tool is performed as per the requirement of project in an organization.Suppose for a desktop application we cannot use automation tool which perform web based automation ex: Selenium etc.
- Define Scope of Automation->Automation scope must be defined on the basis of complexity of test cases, amount of data for automation, application feasibility etc.
- Planning, Design and Development-> In this phase we require proper understanding designing tool, scope in automation , automation tool, and timelines.
- Test Execution->During this phase execution of test cases are being performed, during execution automation rides the application and generates the report with status.
- Maintenance->As there is always new functionality being added at every iterations on an application, so being as tester the new test cases are being added for the new functionality and maintained with changes performed in an application.
Which tools are most effective in market?